Tuesday, October 18, 2011

It Doesn't Matter

When I started this blog, it was my intention to address issues concerning public safety.  I wanted to educate the public on a topic that I know a lot about, fire;  And it was my hope to shed light on the dedicated officers that keep our streets safe day and night and give them due for the heroes they are.  Instead I found myself defending the two departments I worked for and believed in (San Jose P.D. and Fire) from the seemingly never ending attacks from the very citizens it has sworn to protect.  I still to this day find myself in disbelieve over this development.  What used to be trust and respect has turned into this vile us versus them confrontation that seems to get nastier as we get, what I believe, closer to the "end of days".  Never in the 50 years that I have lived in the Bay Area have I seen class warfare such as this.  Sure, there have always been the wanna-be's and the jealous about our profession, but those guys everybody shrugged off as such.  But now there seems to be more of them than not these days.  How did all this come about?  How did the heroes of 911 turn into the the greedy pension hungry no good thieves that we have been portrayed today by the news media, our politicians, and sadly to say, many of our citizens. 

I have thought about these questions almost continuously over the last five years but I have only been able to come to one conclusion, it doesn't matter.  I did my duty, I fulfilled my service to God and his people, period.  If they come after my pension, I will endure.  If  there are those that want to spit on me, it wouldn't be the first time.  I spent most of my adult life taking care of other people and sadly, watching them die.  I have seen countless injured and suffering and many others sick and mentally ill.  I have dealt with the blasters and the parents who just lost their two month old to SIDS.  Burned bodies and shooting victims are imprinted on my mind forever, but it doesn't matter.  I have seen my brother police officers and firefighters die in the line of duty and I have been to more funerals than I care to count.  I've pulled little children from the bottom of pools and out of the mangled wrecks of automobiles.  PTSD is often our middle initials and it is growing worse everyday as they "The Bravest" are ridiculed and accused, but it doesn't matter. Here is what matters:

The Fireman's Prayer
















When duty calls me, oh Lord,
Wherever flames may rage,
Give me strength to save some life,
Whatever be the age.

Help me embrace a little child,
Before it is to late,
Or save an older person from,
The horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert,
and oh Lord, guide my every move,
for life is so precious,
please don't let us lose.

I want to fill my calling and,
To give the best in me,
To guard my every neighbor,
And protect their property.

And if according to thy will,
That I must give my life,
Then with thy protecting hand my Lord,
I pray thee, protect my children and my wife.

Amen.

"The Fireman's Prayer" by author "Unknown"


No comments:

Post a Comment